The vision of National Academic Depository (NAD) is born out of an initiative to provide an online store house of all academic awards. National Academic Depository (NAD) is a 24X7 online store house of all academic awards viz.certificates, diplomas, degrees, mark-sheets etc. duly digitised and lodged by academic institutions / boards / eligibility assessment bodies. NAD not only ensures easy access to and retrieval of an academic award but also validates and guarantees its authenticity and safe storage.
National Academic Depository comprises of two interoperable digital depositories viz. CDSL Ventures Limited (CVL) and NSDL Database Management Limited (NDML). These digital depositories have ensured hardware, network facilities and software of prescribed quality for smooth and secured operationalisation of NAD.
UGC-the authorized body
The Union Cabinet has approved establishing a digital depository of academic awards to be known as National Academic Depository (NAD) on the pattern of securities depository in its meeting held on 27th October, 2016.
Consequent upon the approval of Cabinet, the Government in exercise of powers conferred under section 20(1) of University Grants Commission Act,1956 has designated University Grants Commission (UGC) as an authorized body to enter into a tripartite agreement on behalf of all Central Higher Educational Institutions (CHEIs), Institutions of National Importance (INIs) and Boards with the wholly owned subsidiaries of the depositories registered under SEBI Act, 1992, namely NSDL Database Management Limited (NDML) and CDSL Ventures Limited (CVL) initially for a period of three years for the purposes of establishment of NAD comprising of two interoperable digital depositories.
The UGC has signed a tripartite agreement with NSDL Database Management Limited (NDML) and CDSL Ventures Limited (CVL) for operationalizing NAD. The academic institutions / boards / eligibility assessment bodies are required to select either of the two depositories for entering into legally enforceable agreement for utilizing services of NAD. Lodging, access, retrieval and validation of academic awards in the NAD will be primarily on the strength of this agreement.
The students and verification users are free to select either of the depositories to register on to NAD.
Further, NAD provides a feature of portability i.e. the users of NAD may switch among the depositories if they are not satisfied with the services rendered. Since, the depositories are inter-operable, the data would be automatically synced among the depositories, the user can seamlessly operate the same account with the other depository.
Benefits of NAD:
For academic institutions
• Permanent and safe record of keeping all academic awards issued;
• No need for issuing duplicate academic awards, students can get it from NAD;
• Effective deterrence to fake and forged paper certificates;
• All academic awards verification needs can be addressed by NAD;
• Efficient, effective and transparent administration.
• Immediate availability of academic awards upon upload by Academic Institution
• Online, permanent record of academic awards
• No risk of losing, spoiling, damaging the academic awards
• Anytime, anywhere and convenient access to academic awards
For verification Users (Employer Companies, Banks etc.)
• Online, quick and reliable verification of academic awards (with prior consent of the student concerned)
• Access to authenticated copy of academic awards
• No risk of fake and forged Certificates.
• Reduction in cost, time and efforts for verification